Software and Security Engineering
- Transparent Data Protection (together with Andrew Price). Connect
- The Role of Policy in Enterprise Data Protection Using Format-Preserving Encryption and Stateless Key Management. Connect Community.
- On Generalizations in Networking Software to Encourage Code Portability (together with Patrick Peters, Roy Dcruz, Chung Sung, Chien Wang). IEEE INFOCOM. IEEE Computer Society Press.
- YANC (Yet Another Network Compiler) (together with James Radigan). INTAP International Symposium on Interoperable Information Systems II. INTAP
- Archetype: A Unified Method for the design and Implementation of Protocol Architectures. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 14 No. 6. IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Integrating Network Management Functions Through Meta-Communication. Invited Paper at IFIP COMNET. Elsevier/North Holland.
- A Meta-Communications Methodology Based on the Constraint Satisfaction Paradigm. Invited Paper at IFIP Information Network and Distributed Computing. Elsevier/North Holland.
- System Integration Through Meta-Communication. IEEE INFOCOM. IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Autonomous Distributed Control Through Flexible Communication (together with William P.-C. Ho). IEEE CAD/CAM, Robotics, and Factories of the Future III (Ed. B. Prasad). Springer Verlag.
- IFIP Integrated Network Management I. Co-editor with Jil Westcott. Elsevier/North Holland.
- Distributed Design Through Stepwise Refinement – An Implementation Report (together William P.-C. Ho and Subrata Banerjee. IFIP Protocol Specification, Testing, and Verification VIII (Eds. Sudhir Aggrawal and Krushnan Sabnani). Elsevier/North Holland.
- Design and Automated Generation of Protocol Architectures Using Archetype. IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems VII. IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Towards Truly Open Systems (together with William P.-C. Ho). IFIP Protocol Specification, Testing, and Verification VII (Eds. Harry Rudin and Collin West). Elsevier/North Holland.
- On the Run-Time Specification of Protocol Architectures. IFIP Protocol Specification, Testing, and Verification VI (Eds. Gregor Bochman and Behcet Sarikaya). Elsevier/North Holland.
- A Formal Method for Composing a Network Command Language. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-12 No. 8. IEEE Computer Society Press.
- Dynamic Protocol Definitions. 4th IEEE Phoenix Conference on Computers and Communications. IEEE Computer Society Press. 1985.
- Towards the Automatic Generation of Executable Specifications for Communication Systems. IEEE Workshop on Languages. IEEE Computer Society Press.
Network Management Related
- Managing Digital Television in Home Networks. IFIP/IEEE Distributed Systems Operations and Management (DSOM), UT Austin, Computer Society Press. December 2000.
- Manageability of Java-Based Digital TV Receivers. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Volume 18, Number 5, May 2000.
- Global Internet I and II. Co-editor with Lyman Chapin. IEEE Communications Magazine. May and June 1997.
- Video/Audio/Data Distribution Networks- The Need for Network Management. Together with Al Brenner. IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management .
- Enterprise Networking. Co-editor with David Kirsch, Karen Seo, and Doug Zuckerman. IEEE Communications Magazine.
- Managing Change. Network and Distributed Systems Management (Ed. Morris Sloman). Addison Wesley.
- When is Software Correct Enough? Thresholds (Ed. Larry Bernstein). Journal of Network and Systems Management. Vol. 1 No. 4. Plenum Press.
- Integrated Network Management. Co-editor with Doug Zuckerman. IEEE Network. Vol. 7 No. 3. IEEE Communications Society.
- Strategies for the Nineties (together with Wolfgang Zimmer). Lead Paper in IFIP Transactions: Integrated Network Management III (Eds. Heinz-Gerd Hegering and Yechiam Yemini). Elsevier/North Holland.
- Integrated Network Management (together with Paul Brusil and Kim Kappel). Lead Paper in IFIP Integrated Network Management II (Eds. Kris Krishnan and Wolfgang Zimmer). Elsevier/North Holland.
- Distributed Network Management Using Negotiation. IFIP Network Management For Communications Networks. BBN.
- IEEE 802.16 WiMax – Minimizing IP Connectivity Delay During Network (Re-) Entry. IEEE 802.16 Broadband Wireless Access – WiMax. IEEE C802.16e-04/151r1.2004.
- IEEE 802.20 MobiFi – Network Architecture Considerations in Support of the MBWA Design. IEEE 802.20 Mobile Broadband Wireless Access – MobiFi. IEEE C802.20-03-31r1. 2003
- DVB Multimedia Home Platform (MHP) – 1998 – 2000
- JavaTV – 1998 – 2000
- OpenCable Applications Platform (OCAP) – 1997- 2000
- DVB Simulcrypt – 1997 – 2000
- IETF various groups – 1986 – present
Additional professional activities
- Vice-Chair and founding member of IEEE Communications Society, Committee on Enterprise Networking.
- Vice-Chair and founding member of IFIP Technical Committee on Data Communications Working Group on Network
- Guest Coeditor IEEE Network, and IEEE Communications Magazine.
- Advisory Board Chair and Standing Committee member for IFIP/IEEE International Symposia on Integrated Network Management (ISINM), and IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposia (NOMS).
- Founding Member IEEE Distributed Systems Operations and Management Workshop Series.
- General Chair of IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management ’91 and ‘93.
- Motorola Associate Member Science Advisory Board
- Program Co-Chair IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management ‘89